Tuesday, June 22, 2010

summer solistice, a birthday

Yesterday was the Summer Solstice, also known as Litha, or Midsummer, and the official first day of summer. I have always had an affinity for this holiday because my mother, goddess bless her, was so thoughtful to give birth to me on this day, 34 years ago. I have often thought that it was the auspicious date of my birth that contributed to my strange and unusual being. I usually spend my birthday part in celebration, and part in contemplation. Thinking about the past year of my life, where I have been and where I am going, what I would like for myself in the next year. I usually journal and oft do myself a year forecast tarot reading. Some years I do an elaborate ritual celebration, some years it passes quietly.

This year was a quiet reflection as I was too physically exhausted to do much ritual. I spent the day diggin posts for the fence that I am building between the orchard and the garden areas of the yard. In fact that is mostly why I haven't posted as of late, as I have been consumed by the fence project, trying desperately to keep my puppies contained so they do not get run over and  killed! Sirius' accident last week left me with just one focus, and I cannot seem to stop until I am done. Not even for birthday celebration!  I did take a break for a small part of the afternoon to make pie, because I know that the boys did want to celebrate.

I am usually a cake makin kinda gal, especially for birthdays, but this year I was inspired to make a lemon meringue pie, so with Zaelyns assistance, I made a lemon and a lime pie. And it wasn't really a meringue, as I made homemade whip cream to go on top instead. But none the less, it was a great hit, and it was a sweet way to end the longest day of the year.



my first ever homemade lemon pie




I let S put the homemade whip cream on




a slice of delicious lemony yumminess




and a glass of my favorite bevy, Guinness

I got the wonderful pie recipe here, Grandmas Lemon Meringue Pie, and the whip cream was simply whipping cream with a couple tablespoons of sugar, hand whipped until peaks started to form and the cream lost its glossy sheen.

So Happy Solstice to all , and to all a wonderful Midsummers night! What did you celebrate today? Peace and Love, Chella

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers